AMEB Piano Series 18 is here!
AMEB Piano Series 18 Grade 1. A Collection of graded repertoire for AMEB Piano exams. Carefully selected by top Australian Piano performers and pedagogues, the grade books feature a diversity of musical styles and often include works by celebrated Australian composers. AMEB Piano Series 18 Grade One repertoire is carefully coordinated to align with the technical requirements at each grade level.
The release of the new AMEB Piano syllabus comes after a two-year review process, including consultation with focus groups comprising piano teachers from around the country. This new syllabus and suite of publications has been developed by the following expert team and edited by the AMEB publishing department:
- Principal consultant: Emeritus Professor David Lockett A.M. (AMEB Chief Examiner (Practical))
- Level 1 (Preliminary to Grade 4): Angela Turner
- Level 2 (Grade 5 to Certificate of performance): Helen Smith
- Level 2 (Collaborative piano): Jeanell Carrigan
- Level 3 (Associate and Licentiate diplomas): Glen Riddle
Major points are:
- New technical work that includes:
- An updated programme of scales and arpeggios for each grade.
- The introduction of custom-composed technical exercises in each grade, with dual aims of supporting the performance of scales and arpeggios and also addressing areas of technique not developed by scales and arpeggios alone.
- A new Technical work book to be released in two volumes: one for Level 1 (Preliminary to Grade 4) and one for Level 2 (Grade 5 to Grade 8).
New manual lists:
- Completely reviewed and revised
- Feature a hand-picked range of new publications and compositions alongside favourite repertoire that remains popular in teaching studios around the country.
A new suite of publications to support the syllabus:
- AMEB Piano Series 18 Grade 1 features a range of appealing and pedagogically useful repertoire suitable for examination.
- Series 18 handbooks will be available for the first time as digital downloads. These feature background information and analyses of each work in the Series 18 grade books and will assist candidates and teachers in the preparation of general knowledge requirements for examination, from Preliminary to Grade 8.
- Series 18 recordings will be available via digital download and feature inspiring recordings of the grade book repertoire by top Australian pianists.
- AMEB Piano Technical work (2018), mentioned above, contains all of the technical work requirements for the Piano (2019) syllabus. All scales, arpeggios and technical exercises are fully notated with a wealth of supporting information including suggested preparatory and extension exercises. AMEB Technical work will be published in two volumes: Level 1 (Preliminary to Grade 4) and Level 2 (Grade 5 to Grade 8)
- AMEB Piano Sight-reading (2018) contains examples of the kinds of sightreading tests likely to be encountered in examination.
Collaborative Piano is introduced as an option for the first time:
- Grades 5 and 6 in the form of piano duets
- Grades 7 and 8 in the form of collaborations with violin, flute and clarinet
- From 2019 Piano candidates will be able to choose between the traditional comprehensive exam and a repertoire-only exam.